Apex Magazine #80, the special reader appreciation issue of this science fiction, fantasy, and horror webzine, delivers more content than any previous issue.
Contributors to Apex Magazine’s November subscription drive unlocked every level are rewarded here with two new stories by Ursula Vernon – “Razorback” and her novelette “The Tomato Thief.”
Also providing original fiction are Chikodili Emelumadu, Lettie Prell, Carrie Cuinn, and Jennifer Hykes.
There are seven poems, by Samson Stormcrow Hayes, Zebulon Huset, Anton Rose, Greg Neunig, Annie Neugebaur, J.J. Hunter, and Apex poetry editor Bianca Spriggs.
Andrea Johnson interviewed three authors: Ursula Vernon, Lettie Prell, and Chikodili Emelumadu, and Russell Dickerson interviewed cover artist Matt Davis.
The nonfiction article is Lucy A. Snyder’s “Exploration of Racism in Heart of Darkness.”
And the issue’s reprints are a short story by Ferrett Steinmetz and a novelette by Dave Creek.
The free original fiction, poetry, and nonfiction will be released throughout the month on the Apex Magazine website. You can see the release schedule here.
The entire issue is available for only $2.99 direct from Apex, or through Weightless Books (ePub/mobi/PDF), Amazon (Kindle), and Barnes & Noble (Nook). Subscriptions are also available on either a yearly or monthly basis.
Linked items have already been posted online.
- Words from the Editor-in-Chief by Jason Sizemore
- The Tomato Thief by Ursula Vernon (Novelette)
- Interview with Matt Davis, Cover Artist by Russell Dickerson
- Interview with Ursula Vernon by Andrea Johnson (January 6th)
- That Lucky Old Sun by Carrie Cuinn (January 6th, Short Fiction)
- RX-200 Series: It’s Everything You Need by Samson Stormcrow Hayes (January 7th, Poetry)
- Riding Atlas by Ferrett Steinmetz (January 8th, Short Fiction)
- The Open-Hearted by Lettie Prell (January 11th, Short Fiction)
- Interview with Lettie Prell by Andrea Johnson (January 12th)
- The Upside of the Cataclysmic Meteor by Zebulon Huset (January 13th, Poetry)
- An Exploration of Racism in Heart of Darkness by Lucy A. Snyder (January 14th, Nonfiction)
- The Doctor’s Assistant by Anton Rose (January 15th, Poetry)
- Soursop by Chikodili Emelumadu (January 18th, Short Fiction)
- Interview with Chikodili Emelumadu by Andrea Johnson (January 19th)
- In the Far Future, Billy Experiences the Most Powerful Drug Known to Man by Greg Leunig (January 20th, Poetry)
- Bones of the World by Jennifer Hykes (January 21st, Short Fiction)
- Automaton by Bianca Spriggs (January 22nd, Poetry)
- Razorback by Ursula Vernon (January 25th, Short Fiction)
- Paper Tigers (Novel Excerpt) by Damien Angelica Walters (January 26th)
- Maxwell’s Demon by Annie Neugebauer (January 27th, Poetry)
- Various Kinds of Wolves J.J. Hunter (January 28th, Poetry)
- Kutraya’s Skies by Dave Creek (January 29th, Novelette)
- Download Podcast #31 (“The Open-Hearted” by Lettie Prell) or listen using the player below. (34:16 in length)
Next month’s Apex Magazine will have original fiction by Benjanun Sriduangkaew (“The Beast at the End of the Universe”), Betsy Phillips (“The Four Gardens of Fate”), and Daniel Rosen (“Anabaptist”); poetry by Heather Morris, Mike Jewett, Crystal Lynne Hilbert, and Laurel Dixon; and a reprinted novelette by Nick Mamatas (“On the Occasion of My Retirement”). Cover art will be by David Demaret. Apex Magazine issue 81 will be published in February, 2016.