While most Writers Guild of America nominees of genre interest were not among the winners announced on February 13, one winner is very well-known to fans.
Rhianna Pratchett was the Lead Writer for the team voted the “Outstanding Achievement in Videogame Writing” award for Rise of the Tomb Raider. Other team members were Lead Narrative Designer John Stafford, Narrative Designer Cameron Suey, and Additional Writer Philip Gelatt.
The guild’s 68th annual awards were chosen by a vote of the WGA’s 12,000 members. Here are other results of genre interest —
- “Going Clear: Scientology and the Prison of Belief,” Written by Alex Gibney; HBO Documentary Films
- “Mr. Robot,” Written by Kyle Bradstreet, Kate Erickson, Sam Esmail, David Iserson, Randolph Leon, Adam Penn, Matt Pyken; USA
SHORT FORM NEW MEDIA – ADAPTED
- “Chapter Two: Phoebe” (Heroes Reborn: Dark Matters), Written by Zach Craley; nbc.com
- “Housetrap” (Bob’s Burgers), Written by Dan Fybel; Fox
CHILDREN’S SCRIPT – EPISODIC AND SPECIALS
- “Gortimer, Ranger and Mel vs. The Endless Night” (Gortimer Gibbon’s Life on Normal Street), Written by Gretchen Enders & Aminta Goyel; Amazon Studios
Variety notes —
The WGA screenplay nominations did not include four Oscar nominees — the adaptations of “Brooklyn” and “Room” and the original scripts for “Ex Machina” and “Inside Out” — which were excluded because the scripts were not produced under WGA jurisdiction.