The 2019 longlists for the Sunburst Award for Excellence in Canadian Literature of the Fantastic were posted June 12.
The annual Sunburst Award celebrates the best in Canadian fantastika published during the previous calendar year.
Below are the longlisted works, with links where available:
- Amber Dawn, Sodom Road Exit [Arsenal Pulp Press]
- Craig DiLouie, One of Us [Orbit/Hachette Book Group]
- Kate Heartfield, Armed in Her Fashion [Chizine Publications]
- Tyrell Johnson, The Wolves of Winter [Simon & Schuster Canada]
- Derek Künsken, The Quantum Magician [Simon & Schuster Canada]
- Larissa Lai, The Tiger Flu [Arsenal Pulp Press]
- Rich Larson, Annex [Orbit/Hachette Book Group]
- Thea Lim, An Ocean of Minutes [Penguin Random House Canada]
- C.L. Polk, Witchmark [Tor]
- Iain Reid, Foe [Simon & Schuster Canada]
- Eden Robinson, Trickster Drift [Penguin Random House Canada]
- Andromeda Romano-Lax, Plum Rains [Penguin Random House Canada]
- Tanya Tagaq, Split Tooth [Penguin Random House Canada]
- Dania Tomlinson, Our Animal Hearts [Penguin Random House Canada]
Young Adult Fiction
- Jennifer Chen, Super! [Insomniac Press]
- Megan Crewe, Ruthless Magic [Another World Press]
- Alan Cumyn, North to Benjamin [Simon & Schuster Canada]
- Sebastian de Castell, Spellslinger [Orbit, Hachette Book Group]
- Rachel Hartman, Tess of the Road [Penguin Random House Canada]
- Wesley King, A World Below [Simon & Schuster Canada]
- Regan McDonell, Black Chuck [Orca Book Publishers]
- Rebecca Schaeffer, Not Even Bones [Houghton Mifflin Harcourt]
- Caighlan Smith, Children of Daedela [Capstone]
- Kate Story, Antilia: Sword and Song [Chizine Publications]
- Patrick Weekes, Feeder [Simon & Schuster Canada]
- Edward Willett, Worldshaper [Penguin Random House Canada]
- Tim Wynne-Jones, The Ruinous Sweep [Penguin Random House Canada]
Short Story Fiction
- Senaa Ahmad, “The Glow-In-The-Dark Girls” [Strange Horizons, 15 Jan 2018]
- Madeline Ashby, “Domestic Violence” [Slate, 26 March 2018]
- Phedra Deonarine, “The Douen King of the Mangrove” [The Golden Key, 5 June 2018]
- Malon Edwards, “Candied Sweets, Cornbread, and Black-Eyed Peas” [Sword and Sonnet, Ate Bit Bear]
- Erin Evans, “The Hub” [Pulp Literature, Issue 20, Autumn 2018]
- Kate Heartfield, “A Threadbare Carpet” [Nevertheless, Tesseracts Twenty-One, Hades Publications]
- Chris Kuriata, “Auntie Jane VS The Nine Fingers” [Deciduous Tales Issue 2: Tales Darkness and Horror]
- Rich Larson, “Meat And Salt And Sparks” [Tor.com 6 June 2018]
- Matt Moore, “Only At The End Do You See What Follows” [It’s Not the End and Other Lies, Chizine Publications]
- Dominik Parisien, “The River Street Witch” [Alice Unbound, Exile Editions]
- Karl Schroeder, “The Ravine” [Toronto2033.com]
- Kate Story, “Martinis, My Dear, Are Dangerous” [Exile Quarterly, number 42.2]
- Amanda Sun, “The Travellers” [Shades Within Us, Laksa Media]
- Andrew Wilmot, “Lasciare Suonare” [Augur Magazine, number 1.1]
- A.C. Wise, “The Time Traveler’s Husband” [Shimmerzine #46, Nov 2018]
The Sunburst Award official shortlist will be announced in late June. Sunburst Award winners will be announced in Fall 2019.
- Novel Jury: Greg Bechtel, Janie Chang, Susan Forest, Kari Maaren, and Susan Reynolds.
- Short Story Jury: S.M. Beiko, David Demchuk, and Gemma Files.
Winners receive a medallion that incorporates the Sunburst logo. Winners of both the Adult and Young Adult Sunburst Award also receive a cash prize of $1,000, while winners of the Short Story Sunburst Award receive a cash prize of $500.
The Sunburst Award takes its name from the debut novel of the late Phyllis Gotlieb, one of the first published authors of contemporary Canadian speculative fiction. Past winners of the Sunburst Award include Ruth Ozeki, Guy Gavriel Kay, Cory Doctorow, Nalo Hopkinson, Charles de Lint, Thomas King, and last year’s winners David Demchuk and Cherie Dimaline.