The nominations for the 2021 Ursa Major Awards have been finalized. The Ursa Major Award is presented annually for “excellence in the furry arts.” Anyone may nominate and vote for candidates for the Awards. The 2021 Ursa Major Awards final ballot will be open for voting from March 1 to March 31 on the UMA website.
Best Motion Picture
Live-action or animated feature-length movies.
- Luca (Directed by Enrico Casarosa; June 18)
- My Little Pony: A New Generation (Directed by Robert Cullen and Jose Ucha; September 24)
- Raya and the Last Dragon (Directed by Don Hall, Carlos Lopez Estrada, Paul Briggs and John Ripa; March 5)
- Sing 2 (Directed by Garth Jennings; December 22)
- Wish Dragon (Directed by Chris Appelhans; January 15)
Best Dramatic Short Work
One-shots, advertisements or short videos.
- Fossils (Directed by Piti Yindee; June 3)
- Fuelled (Directed by Michelle Hao and Fawn Chan; December 1)
- Katrina the Fuzzy Princess (Directed by Charles Brubaker; September 9)
- Nobody Does It Better, Musical interlude by Princess Katre (Video production by Frank Berhring, artwork and concept by K. Garrison; from the comic strip Carry On. December 26)
- The Mandrake (Directed by Quincy Baltes; August 8)
Best Dramatic Series
TV or YouTube series videos.
- Beastars, Season 2 (Directed by Shinichi Matsumi; January 7 to March 25)
- Centaurworld (Created by Megan Nicole Dong; July 30 to December 7)
- Chikn Nuggit (by Chikn Nuggit; videos January 1 to December 31)
- Helluva Boss (Created by Vivienne Medrano; Season 1 episode 3 to episode 6) Mature Audiences.
- Odd Taxi (Directed by Mugi Kinoshita; episode 1 to 13, April 6 to June 29)
Written works of 40,000 words or more. Serialized novels qualify only for the year that the final chapter is published.
- Interesting Times, by George Cole and N.C. Shapero. (Jarlidium Press; March)
- Starwhal in Flight (The Entangled Universe, Book 3), by Mary E. Lowd. (Aethon Books; February)
- The Bee’s Waltz: A Labyrinth of Souls Novel, by Mary E. Lowd. (Shadow Spinners Press; November)
- The Captain’s Oath, by Rick Griffin. (Self; February 20)
- The Entropy Fountain (The Entangled Universe, Book 2), by Mary E. Lowd. (Aethon Books; January)
Best Short Fiction
Stories less than 40,000 words, poetry, and other short Written works.
- Crystal Fusion, by Mary E. Lowd. (In The Voice of Dog; August 16 & 20)
- Dance of Wood and Grace, by Marie Croke. (In Zooscape; issue 10)
- The Arsenal of Obsolescence, by Mary E. Lowd. (In The Voice of Dog; June 7 & 10)
- Too Cuddly, by Mary E. Lowd. (In Daily Science Fiction; May 18)
- Where Have All The Mousies Gone, by Mary E. Lowd. (In Daily Science Fiction; December 14)
Best Other Literary Work
Story collections, comic collections, graphic novels, non-fiction works, and serialized online stories.
- Awoo!: Volume 1, by AC Stuart. (Fenris Publishing, comic strip collection; November)
- Beasts of Burden: Occupied Territory, by Evan Dorkin illustrated by Benjamin Dewey. (Dark Horse, trade paperback collection; November 16)
- Difursity Vol. 2, edited by Weasel. (Thurston Howl Publications, short story/article collection; October)
- Sam Digger: Beaver Detective, by Ian Madison Keller. (Rainbow Dog Press, anthology; March 18)
- Shark Week: An Ocean Anthology, edited by Ian Madison Keller (Rainbow Dog Press, anthology; June 30)
- Furry Fiction Is Everywhere: A Step-By-Step Guide to Writing Anthropomorphic Characters, by Ian Madison Keller & Mary E. Lowd. (Rainbow Dog Books, writing guide; September 10)
- How Furries Are Making Virtual Reality Worth Visiting, by Matt Baume. (Input, article; July 27)
- The otter who became an accidental VTuber star, by Patricia Hernandez (Polygon, article; February 18)
- The Zoo Files, by Toad McKinley. (Youtube, video; January 12)
- This furry scientist won’t let Twitter’s COVID pessimists kill her vibe, by Chris Stokel-Walker. (Input, article; June 2)
Best Graphic Story
Includes comic books, and serialized online stories.
- 24/7, by Hladilnik. (Twitter; October 31)
- Blades of Furry, by Deya Muniz and Emily Erdos. (Webtoons; Episode 5 to 45)
- Found Retake, by Toddlergirl (Fur Affinity, January 2 to December 28)
- Isla Aukate, by Foxena (January 1 to December 31)
- Shine, by Babystar (Fur Affinity, January 1 to December 24) adult material
Best Comic Strip
Newspaper-style strips, including those with ongoing arcs.
- Carry On, by Kathy Garrison Kellogg (Internet, January 1 to December 31)
- Foxes in Love, by @foxes_in_love. (Twitter; January 2 to December 22)
- Freefall, by Mark Stanley (Internet, January 1 to December 31)
- Friends You Are Stuck With, by Gabe Bold (Internet, January 8 to December 25)
- The Whiteboard, by Doc N. (Internet, January 4 to December 24)
Edited collections of creative and/or informational works by various people, professional or amateur, published in print or online in written, pictorial or audio-visual form.
- #ohmurr!, edited by Izzy Torres, AKA Weasel. (Internet; Issues (7) from Spring to Winter 2021) Mature Audiences.
- Dogpatch Press, edited by Patch Packrat. (Internet; January 21 to December 22) (Monthly publication of the FWG, sponsors of the COYOTL awards)
- Flayrah, edited by GreenReaper, Sonious, and Dronon (Internet; January 2 to December 31)
- InFurNation, edited by Rod O’Riley. (Internet; January 2 to December 30)
- Zooscape, edited by Mary E. Lowd (Internet; Issue 10 to 13)
Best Published Illustration
Illustrations for books, magazines, convention program books, cover art for such, coffee-table portfolios.
- Caraid, Beginnings, (Furaffinity, March 6)
- Caraid, Ruxa, Patient Professor, (Magic the Gathering – Strixhaven: School of Mages Commander set, Artstation, April 7)
- Katherine Garrison, A World Of Our Own (Crosstime Cafe, November 30)
- Lofi, Oh, Well, (Furaffinity, February 16)
- Nomax, Brothers, (Twitter, January 22)
Computer or console games, role-playing games, board games.
- Death’s Door (Developer: Acid Nerve, Publisher: Devolver Digital; July 20)
- Deltarune: Chapter 2 (Developer/Publisher: Toby Fox; September 17)
- Doodle Champion Island Games (Developer/Publisher: Google; July 23)
- F.I.S.T.: Forged In Shadow Torch (Developer: TiGames, Publisher: Bilibili; September 7)
- Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart (Developer/Publisher: Insomniac Games; June 11)
Online collections of art, stories, and other creative and/or informational works. Includes galleries, story archives, directories, blogs, and personal sites.
- e621, Furry art
- Fur Affinity, Furry art and stories
- Fuzznet Music, World’s biggest furry-centered professional music distribution collective.
- Wikifur, Furry wiki
- Zootopia News Network, All things Zootopia.
Anthropomorphic Costume (Fursuit)
- Armored Lizardman, Maker: Treasure Court, Owner: xinghejieZLS, Displayed on Twitter January 27.
- Bash the Piñata, Maker: Kemonokapi, Owner: @TransformARTive/@BashThePinata, Displayed on Twitter January 20.
- Fifel, Makers: feathersOkapi and ZettaNova, Owner: GlacierClear, Displayed on Twitter August 14.
- Rocket Raccoon (Endgame Version), Maker/Owner/Wearer: Akela Taka, Displayed on Twitter January 31.