DisCon III members have received an email with a Covid Tracking update and best practices for returning home. The committee reports five people have reported positive test results, one of which was a false positive.
The email provided the following information:
We want to keep you informed as our COVID response team tracks contacts after the convention. We also want to suggest best practices for your return home based on current CDC advice.
- Unless you had contact with a person with symptoms, you do not need to self-isolate.
- We encourage all convention attendees to test five to seven days after the convention (Thursday-Saturday)
- Wear a mask indoors in public for two weeks following the convention, or until you test negative.
What to do if you test positive for COVID-19?
- Tell the convention at firstname.lastname@example.org. We will keep your name private but may share anonymized information about your activities for contract-tracing purposes.
- If your positive test result was from an at-home antigen test, try to obtain a PCR test for confirmation.
- Think about where you were and if you had your mask off.
- Inform anyone you know personally and were in close contact with about your test result
- Close contact is defined as someone who was within 6 feet for a total of 15 minutes or more within 2 days prior to illness onset, regardless of whether the contact was wearing a mask.
- The CDC recommends a 10-day isolation period. Day zero is the first day you develop symptoms or test positive.
Five people have reported positive test results, one of which was a false positive.
Case A – False positive
- Concerning the case we reported on Friday, we are happy to share that their PCR test was negative.
- They are feeling better.
Case B (originally emailed to members on Sunday)
- One DisCon III member who was staying off-site was feeling poorly on Friday Night.
- They went home and woke up on Saturday with a scratchy throat, took a covid antigen test, and tested positive.
- They are self-isolating with their partner who has tested negative.
- They did not attend any program items.
- They spent very little time in the Omni Shoreham and were masked at all times.
- They attended the Art Show on Thursday at 6 pm ET and never removed their mask.
- They dined at Lebanese Taverna on Thursday and Friday, unmasked while dining, their companions have tested negative.
Case C – Named with permission, Vanessa Rose Phin, to make contact tracing easier
- Reported a positive case on Monday
- Ves partner is negative
- Ve was likely infected Wednesday and may have been contagious by Sunday
- Attended the Hugo Finalists Reception
- Attended Hugo Ceremony, seated in the front center section
- Feeling improved today but still has mild symptoms
- Reported a positive test on Tuesday
- Slight cough, but otherwise asymptomatic
- Spent most of the convention in suite 525, mostly in the study area
- Attended the business meetings, but no other panels or events
- Ate at the hotel restaurant Sunday night. Has directly notified dining companions and other extended personal contacts.
- Masked at all times in public areas except while dining
- Reported a positive rapid test on Tuesday
- Stayed off-site
- Attended panels and parties throughout the five days.
- More details will be provided when we have them.
If you have any questions or concerns, please email email@example.com