The 2021 Agatha Awards were presented April 23 during Malice Domestic in Bethesda, MD.
The Agatha Awards honor the “traditional mystery,” books typified by the works of Agatha Christie and others. The genre is loosely defined as mysteries that contain no explicit sex, excessive gore or gratuitous violence, and are not classified as “hard-boiled.”
THE AGATHA AWARDS (for works published in 2021)
BEST CONTEMPORARY NOVEL
- Cajun Kiss of Death by Ellen Byron (Crooked Lane Books)
BEST HISTORICAL NOVEL
- Death at Greenway by Lori Rader-Day (HarperCollins)
BEST FIRST NOVEL
- Arsenic and Adobo by Mia P. Manansala (Berkley)
BEST SHORT STORY
- “Bay of Reckoning” by Shawn Reilly Simmons in Murder on the Beach (Destination Murders)
- How to Write a Mystery: A Handbook from Mystery Writers of America by MWA with editors Lee Child and Laurie R. King (Simon & Schuster)
BEST CHILDREN’S/YA MYSTERY
- I Play One on TV by Alan Orloff (Down & Out Books)
It was Agatha all along….