May was a month unexpectedly filled with sad and controversial news items. The most widely read story told how SFWA removed Mercedes Lackey from the annual Nebula Conference for a code of conduct violation the day after celebrating her as their latest Grand Master.
In the second most-read story, Balticon 56 Chair Yakira Heistand apologized for staff’s mistreatment of Stephanie Burke, an author taken off panels following a CoC complaint by what Heistand calls an “overzealous volunteer” who Burke says spoke to her “with much disrespect” and then “proceeded to yell at me.”
Thoroughly overshadowed was what started out to be the month’s top story. Jon Del Arroz’ attempt to join the Game Manufacturers Association was met with protest from members, resulting in his ouster. And shortly afterwards JDA also was bounced from Twitter (“JDA Out of GAMA, Suspended by Twitter”).
Here are the 10 most-read posts of May 2022 according to Google Analytics.
- Mercedes Lackey Removed from the Nebula Conference
- Balticon Chair Apologizes After Author Stephanie Burke Removed From Panels
- Mercedes Lackey Publishes Apology
- SFWA Asks New Grand Master Mercedes Lackey to Clarify Past Statement on Writing Trans Characters
- Pixel Scroll 5/23/22 Cosplaying And Straying In Pixel Scroll Land, To The Sounds Of The Pixel Scroll Band
- Several GAMA Members Protest Addition of Jon Del Arroz to Organization
- Barkley — So Glad You (Didn’t) Ask: A Column of Unsolicited Opinions #65
- Numerous Russian SFF Writers Support Ukraine Invasion in Open Letter
- SFWA Members-Only Directory Info Exposed
- SFWA Announces the 57th Nebula Award Winners