The 2017 Hugo Awards voter packet is now available for download by Supporting, Attending, Youth and First Worldcon members of Worldcon 75. The packet is an electronic collection that helps voters become better informed about the pool of finalists. Works included are made available by finalists and their publishers.
The voter packet contains complete texts of many Hugo-nominated works, preview versions of some works, and directions for finding some finalists’ works online. The packet itself can be accessed by members directly from their online ballots with personalized links.
Nicholas Whyte, Hugo administrator for Worldcon 75, said:
This year’s voter packet is the most extensive and complete collection since the packet’s inception in its present form 10 years ago. We are deeply appreciative of the publishers, authors, artists, editors, and other creators who have generously provided their works to this year’s Hugo Voter Packet, and ask that voters who feel the same way consider posting on social media to thank the publishers, editors, and creators who have participated in the packet.
In most ballot categories there are separate downloads for each of the three most common ebook formats (EPUB, MOBI, and PDF). In the few cases where a publisher has provided only a PDF version of a work, the PDF has been included in each of the different format packets so that members will not have to do extra downloading. The exceptions to this are the Dramatic Presentation, Artist, Graphic Story, Fancast, and Editor Long Form categories, where there is only a PDF download.
The Hugo Voter Packet will be available for download until the voting deadline at 11:59 pm Pacific Daylight Time on 15 July 2017 (2:59 am EDT, 07:59 BST, 09:59 EEST). As in previous years, Worldcon 75 asks that voters honor publishers’ and creators’ request that they reserve these copies for their personal use only, and that they do not share these works with non-members of Worldcon 75.
Here is an overview of the packet contents:
- Novel: 5 full novels and 1 excerpt
- Novella: 6 full novellas
- Novelette: 6 full novelettes
- Short Story: 6 full short stories
- Related Work: 4 full long works, 1 full short work, and 1 excerpt
- Graphic Story: 6 full works in PDF form only
- Dramatic Presentation (Long Form): a PDF document summarizing the Finalists, with hyperlinks to each work’s video trailer, official website, IMdb entry, and Wikipedia entry.
- Dramatic Presentation (Short Form): a PDF document summarizing the Finalists, with hyperlinks to each work’s video trailer, official website, IMdb entry, and Wikipedia entry. In the case of the Clipping musical work, links are included to listen for free on YouTube, Spotify, iTunes and Bandcamp.
- Editor – Short Form: submissions from 6 editors
- Editor – Long Form: submissions from 6 editors
- Professional Artist: image galleries for 6 artists, with citations of where and when each work was published, and a PDF document with links to all the artists’ websites
- Semiprozine: submissions from 6 semiprozines
- Fanzine: submissions from 6 fanzines
- Fancast: PDF submissions for 6 fancasts with episode summaries and links to online podcasts
- Fan Writer: submissions from 5 fan writers and 1 PDF document with a link to an online submission from a 6th fan writer
- Fan Artist: image galleries for 6 artists, and a PDF document with links to all the artists’ websites
- Series: 2 full series, 1 novel for each of 2 series, 1 excerpt for each of 2 series, and a PDF document for each series which lists all the works in the series and includes some hyperlinks to bonus related online content.
- John W. Campbell Award for Best New Writer: 3 novels, 2 novellas, and 9 short stories for 6 authors
Readers who do not have membership in Worldcon 75 can still access a great deal of Finalist material at no cost; see this page for links: Where To Find The 2017 Hugo Finalists For Free Online.
Those wishing to purchase membership to Worldcon 75 may still do so. Supporting membership is €35 / $40; Adult Attending membership is €195 / $215; and First-Time Adult Attending membership is €95 / $110. All three of these membership levels are eligible to receive the Hugo Voter’s Packet. Worldcon 75 Membership Page.
@Mark (Kitteh): Thanks, now that I’ve skimmed it, I remember reading this at the time. My memory bites!
They’ve hooked me with their extended samples before; that doesn’t bug me a ton. It’s the “free then, excerpt now” that gets me, like closing the barn door after the horse escaped part that gets me.
Anyway, thanks. 🙂