The winners of the 2014 Tiptree Award are Monica Byrne for The Girl In the Road, and Jo Walton for My Real Children. Each winner will receive $1000 in prize money, a specially commissioned piece of original artwork, and chocolate.
The James Tiptree, Jr. Literary Award Council will celebrate Byrne at WisCon over the Memorial Day weekend (May 23-26). Jo Walton, who won’t be at WisCon, will be feted in San Francisco in August.
Honor List: In addition to selecting the winner, the jury chose a Tiptree Award Honor List.
- Jennifer Marie Brissett. Elysium (Aqueduct Press 2014)
- Seth Chambers, “In Her Eyes” (Fantasy & Science Fiction, January/February 2014)
- Kim Curran, “A Woman Out of Time” (Irregularity, edited by Jared Shurin, Jurassic London 2014)
- Emmi Itäranta, Memory of Water (Harper Voyager 2014) (published in Finnish as Teemestarin kirja, Teos 2012)
- Jacqueline Koyanagi, Ascension (Masque Books 2013)
- Alisa Krasnostein and Julia Rios, editors, Kaleidoscope (Twelfth Planet Press 2014)
- Pat MacEwen, “The Lightness of the Movement” (Fantasy & Science Fiction, April/May 2014)
- Nnedi Okorafor, Lagoon (Hodder & Stoughton, 2014)
- Nghi Vo, “Neither Witch nor Fairy” (Long Hidden: Speculative Fiction from the Margins of History, edited by Rose Fox and Daniel José Older, Crossed Genres, 2014)
- Aliya Whiteley, The Beauty (Unsung Stories 2014)
In addition to the honor list, this year’s jury also compiled the following long list of other works they found worthy of attention:
- Corinne Duyvis, Otherbound (Amulet 2014)
- Meg Elison, The Book of the Unnamed Midwife (Sybaritic Press 2014) At the same time that the Tiptree winners were announced, this book won the Philip K. Dick Award.
- L.S. Johnson, “Marigolds” (Long Hidden: Speculative Fiction from the Margins of History, edited by Rose Fox and Daniel José Older, Crossed Genres 2014)
- Laura Lam, Shadowplay (Angry Robot/Strange Chemistry 2014)
- Ken Liu, “Knotting Grass, Holding Ring” (Long Hidden: Speculative Fiction from the Margins of History, edited by Rose Fox and Daniel José Older, Crossed Genres 2014)
- Sarah Pinsker, “No Lonely Seafarer” (Lightspeed Magazine, September 2014)
- Michael J. Sullivan, Hollow World (Tachyon 2014)
- Deborah Wheeler, Collaborators (Dragon Moon Press 2013)
- Cat Winters, The Cure for Dreaming (Amulet 2014)